Halloween is coming and the real scare might be the chocolate, lollipops, gum, sticky candy, or spills which could end up on your carpet and furniture! The professionals at Aladdin Cleaning and Restoration have seen a few Halloween nightmares and are here to share a few tips and tricks to help remove the afterparty from your carpet, rugs, and furniture.
Removing Gum from Carpet and Furniture
Did you know there is a way to remove gum that does not involve scissors?
What you need:
1. A fork
2. Mild dishwashing detergent, such as Dawn or Mrs. Meyers
3. Warm water
4. White towel (which can be purchased at Home Depot or HEB)
- Step 1: Remove as much of the gum/gummy as possible without disturbing the fiber. We recommend using a fork at home.
- Step 2: Mix detergent with warm water and apply to white cloth
- Step 3: Apply detergent to spot. Be sure to blot the spot, do not scrub. Scrubbing can damage the rug fibers and cause the gum to further adhere to the rug.
- Step 4: Remove any excess gum.
- Step 5 & 6: Apply warm water to clean area of white cloth or a new white cloth.
Apply warm water to rinse the spot and area of any detergent. And Voila! Good as new!
The Best Way to Remove Chocolate from Carpet
Your first reaction to melted chocolate on your carpet may be to start cleaning immediately. But wait! Let it completely dry before you start. Once the chocolate has set, scrape as much chocolate as you can from the carpet then vacuum over the stain. Grab a clean, white cloth and carpet stain remover to lift the stain. Make sure to “blot” the stain and do not “rub.”* If you still see some of the stain, mix a ¼ teaspoon of detergent and one cup of lukewarm water and begin blotting the stain from the outer edge and work your way in (so as not to spread the stain). Rinse the area with cold water and blot with a clean towel until the stain lifts.
Can I Clean Hard Candy from My Furniture and Carpet?
The stickiest of Halloween treats—hard candy—is not easily removed, but it is not impossible. To start, soften the candy with cold water and scrape away as much as you can. Moistening the candy will help prevent damage to the fibers of your carpet or rug. Apply a stain remover compatible with your carpets and blot the area clean from the outside in. If the stain is still visible, use a clean towel and white vinegar and blot the stain again until it is removed.
Call Aladdin Professional Services to Clean the Hardest Candy and Food Stains
If you’re still having trouble removing stains from your carpets or rug, don’t hesitate to call us! The professional service team at Aladdin Cleaning and Restoration have expertise for any carpet stain (not just Halloween candy). Contact us today for professional carpet cleaning or antique and oriental rug cleaning. Don’t forget to grab a few bottles of our spot cleaner for your own DIY cleaning!
* Rubbing a stain may fray the fabric and allow the stain to penetrate your carpet or rug more deeply.