It’s the beginning of the home-y season! While it’s typically still quite warm in Texas in September, this is a time when we all start thinking about cozy blankets, warm drinks and cool weather. As we’re transitioning into spending more time indoors and having guests over during the holidays, this is a good time to prepare. If you have our spring cleaning checklist, it’s time to repeat some of those same tasks. Below we’ve included a list of areas and specific cleaning tasks for your home to complete going into the fall season.
Take it Outside
- Clean your gutters and downspouts of leaves and debris. (Safety first! Don’t do it alone, have someone hold the ladder)
- Check your roof and have any loose or missing shingles replaced.
- Clean windows inside and out and replace old or torn screens.
- Check weatherstripping and replace it if it’s cracking or flaking.
- Not sure why? Weather stripping stops moisture from penetrating through window openings.
- Winterize exposed pipes and water features, and don’t forget your pool equipment! We all remember February 2021 right?!?!
- Clean and prep your patio furniture and make sure the fire pit is ready for the first cold evening.
- Clean and seal your patio stone and tile and grout or hire a professional for stone cleaning to make it look new again.
- Cut back your perennials and remove dead limbs from trees.
- Reseed your lawn for the spring.
- Fertilize your lawn. (The fall is the best time to do it!)
- Set your fall lawn watering schedule. Lawns need less water during the winter months when it naturally goes into a hibernation phase.
When you move inside, start with the tasks from our spring cleaning checklist for the essentials. Below we have some additional things you should do specifically for the fall.
- Switch the direction of your ceiling fan when it gets cold so the warm air circulates upward.
- Vacuum upholstered furniture or let an expert help you remove the deeply embedded dirt and allergens.
- Wash and put away spring blankets and pillows.
- Shampoo rugs, carpets or hire a professional for annual carpet cleaning.
- Sweep your chimney and have it checked for cracks.
- Clean your oven and vent hood.
- Empty and clean out the pantry. You don’t need those expired canned goods and spices. Your holiday recipes will taste better with fresh spices.
- Start a shopping list for you to pick up those holiday baking and cooking essentials.
- If you skipped your tile and grout cleaning in the spring, now is the time to have your marble countertops and tile and grout professionally cleaned, repaired and sealed before family arrives for the holidays.
- Vacuum and if applicable, flip the mattresses.
- Wash and put away your spring bedding.
- Wash and pull out heavier winter bedding.
- Schedule your annual professional carpet cleaning, rug cleaning and floor cleaning.
- Stock up on first aid medicine and supplies.
- Get annual professional stone cleaning and tile and grout cleaning.
- Change your air filters and have professional air duct cleaning done.
- Vacuum the laundry room dryer vent and have it serviced.
Now that you’re done, put away those summer items and break out the seasonal blankets and fall décor. Even if it’s still 85 degrees out there, you can sip your pumpkin spice ICED latte in clean comfort. Want some assistance in your fall cleaning? Contact Aladdin Cleaning & Restoration for any of your residential cleaning needs. From carpet cleaning and wood flooring cleaning to air duct cleaning and more, call the experts!